- Future ties for top 4 spots will be broken by playing a head-to-head match between tied teams
- MilkShake and TeamDC are each awarded 2 Bonus Points in compensation for missing out on qualification through no fault of their own
Each week teams must qualify for Playoffs by battling through four rounds of Swiss bracket matches. At the end of four rounds, the matches won by each team determines their placing in the Qualifier standings, and the top four teams advance to the week’s playoffs. In some cases, teams’ scores are tied and then tiebreakers must be applied to determine who advances to playoffs and who doesn’t. The tiebreakers that are applied are those provided by Challonge, namely (in order applied):
- TB (Number of wins against tied opponents)
- Points Difference
Season 4 has a high number of teams entering, and, due to time constraints, we are only able to provide four rounds in each Swiss bracket. This means that it is possible (and even likely) that teams could be tied, but not all teams will have a TB score (since they will not have played against the opponents with whom they are tied). This happened in the 1st week of Season 4, where:
- 4 teams were tied (Mad Because Bad, MilkShake, Roles Unspecified, TeamDC)
- Only 2 of these teams had played against one of the other tied teams – in this case Mad Because Bad played against Roles Unspecified.
- This meant only 1 team earned the TB point (Mad Because Bad)
- MilkShake and TeamDC were denied any TB points because they had not had the opportunity to play head-to-head against any of the other teams
It is immediately apparent that both MilkShake and TeamDC received an unfair placing through no fault of their own.
For future rounds (starting with Week 2), teams that are tied for a place in the top 4 will have the following tiebreakers applied:
- If the teams have played head-to-head against each other, the team that won the match will be placed higher than the team that lost the match
- If the teams have NOT played head-to-head against each other, the tied teams will play in a bo1 match and the winner of that match will be placed higher than the loser.
In the case of (2), the teams affected must play the match immediately after the fourth Swiss bracket match has completed. The tiebreaker match will be broadcast by Gamestah.
We will award both MilkShake and TeamDC the Playoff qualification Bonus Points (2 points each) in compensation for missing out on qualification through no fault of their own.